UQ Ochsner student awarded the 2020 Southern Thoracic Surgical Association Scholarship

14 Oct 2020
Donald Chang, 2020 Southern Thoracic Surgical Association Scholarship recipient

University of Queensland Ochsner medical student Donald Chang has been recognised with a James W. Brooks Medical Student Scholarship from the Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (STSA).

The prestigious scholarship celebrates medical students who are considering a career in cardiothoracic surgery, demonstrate general academic excellence and commitment through community service, education, and leadership.

Donald, who is also the President of the Ochsner Medical Student Association (OMSA), said he is extremely proud to represent UQ-Ochsner on this stage.

“I am honored to be selected for this scholarship. Dr. Brooks, for which this scholarship is named after, was widely recognized for his leadership and devotion to education, and this motivates me to practice those values as I embark on my own medical career,” Donald said.

“To be the first student from our school to receive this award is particularly meaningful as it also highlights the scholastic reputation UQ-Ochsner has built as a premier academic institution.”

Previous scholarship recipients include students from Harvard Medical School, Duke University School of Medicine, Medical University of Pennsylvania and University of Florida.

“I would like to thank my mentor, Dr. Aditya Bansal from the Ochsner Cardiothoracic Surgery, and the support of Dr. Ron Amedee from Ochsner Clinical School and Dr. Matthew Gaudet from Ochsner Thoracic Surgery.” Donald said.

Their devotion and commitment to student mentorship is what allowed this opportunity to realize,” he said.