Summer in the Sunshine State

I'm from Michigan, so as my family at home is experiencing snowstorms, I’m here soaking up the sunshine. As summer is in full swing in the Southern Hemisphere, I wanted to share some of my favourite Brisbane summer pastimes and tips with you. 

1.    Have fun and support this beautiful country in its time of need.

As fires, drought, and floods are now affecting our neighbours all throughout this continent, many wonderful businesses are holding fundraisers for relief funds. From Friday drinks in a pub to wellness expos, you can raise a toast or work up a sweat for a good cause.

2. Enjoy Mother Nature.

South East Queensland is packed with such a variety of landscapes; it has something for every nature lover. Check out the Glass House Mountains on your way to the Sunshine Coast for some surf. Hike up to a waterfall or two on your way to the Gold Coast, bike up to Mount Coot-tha for a rewarding view, or stroll along the Brisbane River and picnic in the Botanic Gardens for an escape within the city.

3.    Catch the latest movies and relax in air-con at the cinemas.

With great flicks like Little Women and Knives Out, I’ve been drawn to the movie theatres several times this break. While waiting out a little rain or trying to beat the heat, Brisbane has a great range of movie theatres, which often offer student discounts with your UQ student ID card. 

4.    Catch up with your mates on the grassy knoll in South Bank.

Grab a couple of appetizers from local restaurants and a bottle of wine and share your experiences from Observership with friends and fellow students!

5.    Get on island-time with a day trip or camping weekend on Stradbroke Island.

Cylinder Beach is my favourite. I love spending the day swimming, finding seashells, and then walking to the little town for gelato and a kangaroo sighting. No car? No problem! You can easily access Straddie using public transportation and the ferry.

6.    Go for a swim.

Whether its a few laps at one of the city’s really nice pools or a leisurely dip at Southbank’s Streets Beach, the best way to beat the Brissy heat is with a swim.

You can’t swim in the river, but it’s great for CityCat rides and kayaking.

7.    Treat your tastebuds!

Hundreds of yummy restaurants in Brisbane are waiting for you. My favourite summer dishes are juicy burgers with beetroot, Bún chả, prosciutto pizza, Pad Thai, fresh watermelon, pavlova, and gelato. You can find these at countless restaurants across Brisbane. Check out Wandering Cooks on South Brisbane’s Fish Lane to sample delicious meals from new chefs each season.

8.    Venture out!

There’s so much to see in Australia and uni break is the perfect time to travel. I’ve been to Byron Bay for some stellar beach time and great food. I loved Hamilton Island for visits to the Great Barrier Reef and excellent sailing. Twice, I went to the Granite Belt to see what the outback was like, and let me tell you, the stunning sunsets and delicious wine did not disappoint. However you travel or wherever you go, just soak up every day that you get to spend in this corner of the world.

2 March 2020