Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer
Ochsner students

Match profile: Dr Michael Duggan

We sat down with recent graduate Michael Duggan to talk about his medical journey, where he matched and what he's looking forward to in the next chapter of his career as Dr Duggan.
Student stories
Published 1 Apr, 2023  ·  2 minutes
Michale Duggan

Where did you Match and in what specialty?

I matched at the University of California - Los Angeles in Pediatrics.

Tell us a little bit about you and your journey before entering medical school. 

I grew up just outside of Boston and attended the University of Maryland for college where I graduated with a BS in Biology and a minor in Spanish. I then returned back home to work at Massachusetts General Hospital in the Division of General Academic Pediatrics as a clinical research coordinator on research studies focused on childhood obesity, autism, and infant sleep. Before heading to Brisbane, I also scribed at the Foot & Ankle Orthopedic Clinic at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Michael Duggan with research poster
Research poster presentation at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)

What was your experience of medical school?

I really enjoyed medical school and the ability to live in two places that were much different from where I grew up. It was a unique opportunity to be able to meet students from all over the world and learn from the Australian healthcare system. New Orleans also offered the chance to see firsthand the role social determinants play in impacting patient’s health.

UQ-Ochsner Doctor of Medicine Graduation

What inspired you to become a doctor and when did you become interested in this speciality?

I would be lying if it wasn’t seeing how much my parents and grandpa, all pediatricians, enjoyed their jobs while I was growing up. But ultimately it was my time at MGH completing home visits and seeing in person the amount of work that is still needed to be done in terms of providing equitable healthcare, increasing health literacy, and focusing on preventative medicine that motivated me to pursue medicine. My time in medical school completing research at Queensland Children’s Hospital as well as learning from knowledgeable and compassionate residents and attendings at Ochsner confirmed my interest in pediatrics.

What are you looking forward to the most in the next chapter?

As daunting as it seems right now, I think the increased responsibility in caring for patients. The next three years will be challenging at times but should be rewarding too. I think mostly I’m excited to learn from those around me and continue to experience patient care that will hopefully guide me to an area of pediatrics I would like to pursue. And obviously excited to live in Southern California and all it has to offer!

2nd year club soccer at UQ
2nd year club soccer at UQ